As a NYC wedding coordinator, I am often asked what to do for out-of-town wedding guest Welcome Bags. My answer is almost always the same: Give your guests a little piece of "your" New York. Whether its a collection of treats from your favorite neighborhood candy shop, market, or coffee house or a city guide circled with your recommendations - your friends and family will love arriving to an extra token of your appreciation and feeling like a "local."
Below are some of my ideas and inspiration to help you put together some New York-themed Welcome Bags of your own!
Every NYC Welcome Bag should have the following items:
- NYC Subway Map (Free at MTA subway stations)
- The latest issue of New York Magazine
- A print out of the wedding weekend agenda including timing, addresses, directions and any dress code (if applicable)
Things to Eat:
People like food. And since people like food, give them some of the New York food that you like so that they can like it too! Here are some ideas of food you can include:
- Pastries or other sweets from your favorite bakery
- Special ethnic delicacies hard to find in other parts of the US like Korean candies or caviar from Russ & Daughters
- Locally made chocolate, potato chips or candies
Tips From a "Local"
Whether their flying in from France or just driving in from New England, your out-of-town guests will love receiving a short list of restaurants, bars, sights and shops personally recommended by a New Yorker they trust - you!
My favorite part of putting together a Welcome Bag is the actual bag itself, which by the way, doesn't have to be an actual bag. Give super fun NYC landmark totes from Fish Eddy's or be a little more budget conscious with a simple bag or box that matches your wedding decor/stationery.